Tuesday, December 20, 2016

Thing 2: Photo Fun

I decided to revisit one of the older things for this weeks assignment. I feel like I have been doing a much better job sharing what is happening in the library on both Twitter and Facebook, but like Nikki Robertson addresses in her blog, A Love Story, I need to get the students seeing what is happening in the library. Let's face it students aren't using Facebook and Twitter like adults do, they are using SnapChat. So, I decided to take the plunge... Eek!!!

I found that SnapChat a much bigger learning curve than I had anticipated. Not, that it was hard, but it certainly wasn't as user friendly as I had hoped. Thank goodness for the students. Once I asked a few of them and couple of "trendy" teachers, I was in business in no time.

After playing around with all of the features, I can definitely see why students love this App. It is a lot of fun! Like all Apps, I needed to think about my purpose, which was to share what is happening over the course of the day in the library without sending multiple postings in one day. For that reason I think that the stories feature is going to be the most useful tool for me. It will allow for me to post pictures all day long without having to stop and take time to carefully think about my wording in a post, which I need to do with bothTwitter and Facebook.

I also think the app will be great for showcasing new books to students. It is my hope that when a new box of books arrives in the library that I can quickly take a photo of a  few of my favorite covers/books and send it out as a story.

Of course, like Nikki discusses in her blog, none of this is going to work, if I don't have an audience, otherwise I will just be sharing with myself. So, I took Nikki's idea and made posters in Canva to hang around the school with my code on it. I am also hoping to make notices to go home after the holiday's with tools and resources for anyone who received devices for Christmas. I plan to have a link to Overdrive, Facebook, Twitter, the library website and now SnapChat. Anything to get information out to students and parents is a win in my book!

I am excited to say that I have two followers already. I even gave them a challenge to get as many students as they can to join. I even sent them back to class with a flyer. Hmm... that gets me thinking... maybe bookmarks with my Snapcode.




1 comment:

  1. Great idea! Love that you took the deep dive into Snapchat. And what a terrific way to connect with your students' families by sending home that info. Great work!

    ReplyDelete