Monday, April 15, 2019

Thing 31: Final Reflection


I have taken this class many times before and it is by far my favorite way to learn. I love the idea of exploration and choice. It feels a little like a treasure hunt, where you are in search of a tool that will shape student learning. In the past most of the tools were new to me and I would spend hours trying to narrow my assignment down to the right "thing" each time. This time I approached it a little different. I came in to each assignment knowing what I was looking for. Perhaps this is because I am more seasoned now and I am able to determine what specifically I am looking for when it comes to providing the right tool for the students, or it's because I have tried many things already and it's easier for me to pinpoint where I might still need a little more exploration. Either way, I feel like I found this years class to be refreshing and almost more meaningful to my immediate needs. In years past some assignments seemed a little forced, just so I could get the exposure. I hope I am making sense...

 I think the thing that is the most beneficial about this years course is that each thing is a resource to help make learning more student-centered. Having spent more time focusing on the diverse learners and their needs this year, I am truly focused on using technology to personalize learning. All the resources that I explored, and those that I didn't, can be used as options on a choice board for students to demonstrate what they learned. They could use Big Huge Labs to create posters, Anchor to make a podcast, or even DoInk to build a video to showcase what they have learned. The options are endless and up to the user.

I am so thankful for this learning opportunity and for each of the previous Cool Tools experience. I am sad that this is truly the end. Thank you for everything!


1 comment:

  1. Really interesting to hear how your approach to the workshop differed this year. I hadn't thought about that kind of transition, but it makes total sense. And glad the workshop has been useful to you over the years. And I know I've learned a lot from your posts, thank you!

    ReplyDelete